Wednesday 24 March 2010

inter-faith dialogues

I had a very interesting conversation at work earlier today with a colleague who is currently exploring Buddhism. She told me how she had begun to meditate and put into practice some of the Buddhist principles she has been recently learning about through Buddhist classes she has been attending. I found it very intriguing as I listened to her explain the process of meditation - the emptying of the mind, concentrating on her breathing and then focussing on the self and then others. How she described this particular emphasis in her meditative training struck me as being very similar, in principle, to Jesus' teaching about "love thy neighbour as thy self". I mentioned this to her, which begun a conversation comparing the two religions.

She told me that whilst she had more respect for Jesus since exploring her spiritual side through Buddhism she felt that he didn't provide the basis for actually putting his own teachings into practice. Not deterred I continued with the conversation, exploring the similarities and parallels between the two religions. She said one of the things she didn't like about Christianity was the emphasis on sin, whereas Buddhism emphasises the ability of the self to become a better person. I completely respected both her opinion and the Buddhist principle. Conversely despite our differences we were able to conduct a discourse focussing on the similarities, which I found both invigorating and encouraging. As a person of faith amidst a predominantly agnostic or atheistic department I found it refreshing to be able to discuss matters of spirituality with someone else.

One of the most interesting points of convergence in principle between the two religions was the different forms and connotations of meditation. I explained how meditation is not a completely exclusive Buddhist practice/principle and how the Bible encourages Christians to meditate on God's Word. I explained how I tried to live my life in accordance with the teachings of Scripture and meditate upon it as a guide when making particular decisions on a day to day basis; in how to act and speak. She complimented me on finding this essence of Christian spirituality and commented that she had not seen that in many other Christians. The Bible says that Christians should conduct themselves in a manner worthy of God: not in filthy joking, gossip or criticism. I emphasised how I tried to live in alignment with this focus of Christianity as best I could.

The dialogue then progressed to the issue of 'inner light'. My colleague explained how she tried to visualise the soul as light while meditating and that this had helped her. She explained how she felt all human beings had this intrinsic light within them. To this point I mentioned the fact that the Bible teaches human beings are made in God's image and so therefore our nature will intrinsically reflect a part of God's essence. I elaborated by explicating that, as a Christian, I believe that inherent goodness has been marred by sin, but nevertheless the potential is there for humans to do good.

All in all I thought it was a very positive discussion and hope and pray God will provide me with many more occassions with which to share His truth and Gospel with this colleague. I remember reading that Christianity does not teach all other religions are inherently wrong, only when they diverge from the truth revealed in Scripture. There are many principles and practices of other religions which are to be commended as Christians and this 'common ground' so to speak is an excellent point with which to share our faith to others. I think there are important lessons to be learnt in listening to people of other faiths and respecting their personal beliefs whilst taking the opportunity to give our own testimony of the power and the saving grace of the Gospel. I will be sure to post reflections upon further conversations in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment