Sunday 25 April 2010

Not denying who you are

Since my break up I have had a lot more freedom to express myself and appreciate what I enjoy. I have rediscovered a passion for sport, particularly football and wrestling. I had not followed either for several years during my latter teens and into my early twenties. But having been left alone and free to follow my own devices I have gravitated back towards the two sports that I enjoyed in my childhood and early teens. This has partly come as a response to the frustration I felt at being single again. There was also a brief period of insecurity when my passion for heavy music (metal) waned as I struggled with who I was caught up in the hurt and rejection of the break up. However such a deep rooted passion, indeed part of me could not be suppressed for long and I have been enjoying my first love of music as enthusiastically as before. A love which defines a large part of who I am.

The point of this blog and the subsequent pontificating is that as a Christian I want to live a godly, Christlike life, pursuing God's will and living in His grace whilst being comfortable and at peace with who I am, or rather more specifically my interests. I don't really know why I am inclined to enjoy heavy music and wrestling. They may seem odd choices of past times for a Christian but I believe as long as they do not take over my life and become idolatrous they are not incompatible with the Christian walk of faith. God put on my heart a few years ago a real conviction to give up secular music. Since then I have only listened to Christian metal bands. Some Christians may find the concept of Christian metal oxymoronic and at conflict with Christianity but I do not believe so. In fact these bands have been true blessings to me as a listener of metal in all its forms. I thank God that there is a bountiful alternative of Christian metal bands out there. They truly are a light in a culture of darkness.

However the realm of sport is a completely secular affair. I have really enjoyed following my childhood football team Arsenal again. Going along to the Emirates in North London and watching them live has been a fantastic experience this year, one which I have savoured and truly appreciated, especially with the money I am earning to afford it. Yet the more controversial issue is with my appreciation of wrestling. I have recently discovered and formed a strong appreciation for Ring of Honor, an American wrestling company. This company excells at technical, high risk, intense wrestling and although it would be considered a contact sport (despite its choreography) my appreciation stems not from a love of violence or pain but for the fortitude and discipline of these athletes. The training, practice and stamina that is required to wrestle professionally is incredible. The fact that they are risking their bodies hightens the sense of respect I have for these men and their dedication to the sport. It is also an aspect, much like my passion for metal, of my masculinity.

Masculinity is not always a term conceived of when Christianity is mentioned. The two are not always synonymous with one another. Many both inside and outside of the Church see Christianity as having a predominantly feminine influence. The ratio of men to women in many Churches across the country is disproportionately female. Yet despite this alarming trend of imbalance Christianity is not incompatible with being masculine. Our saviour was a man who was prepared to suffer and die for humanity. The courage, conviction and bravery required to do that is truly amazing and worthy of respect. His closest disciples too, the founders of the early Church, were also prepared to suffer martyrdom for their faith. Sometimes there is a theological imbalance in the Church's teaching on the love of God and not enough about His righteousness and Justice (David Pawson is an excellent theologian on such matters). Moreover the Bible speaks about the Christian life being one of spiritual warfare against evil. I am not ashamed to have masculine interests as a man. God created men and women differently and I have embraced my masculinity as a man but more importantly as a Christian.

The Bible has many teachings on how men should live and act, especially in regards to marriage and the Church I will endeavour in future to follow those teachings with the aid of God's Holy Spirit. But as long as I don't make an idol out of my interests and remember to put God first in every aspect of my life I am comfortable with how I chose to spend my free time. I believe this is very important. I want to be a man of God and I also want to be the person God created me to be. I hope that the Church does become more tolerant of non-traditional Christian past times. Conversely I always need to check my heart and spirit to ensure that God and His will is the first love in my life, always put God's Word and worship of Him over and above my other interests and be careful not to sin against Him. Through prayer and obedience to my Heavenly Father I believe I will accomplish this balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment