Monday 7 December 2009

An attempt at poetry

Being in a somewhat reflective and melancholy state of mind this evening, I decided to write a poem and channel some of my mental energy into something at least constructive if not entirely positive. I like to use blank verse and enjambment as I am not necessarily a fan of the traditional rhyming metre when expressing pathos. Whether my poem by my own standards is a success I leave to your judgement:

The Great Siren

If hope is the quintessential human emotion,
then love must be the quintessential human dream.
For some it becomes a reality
While to others it remains a fantasy
Love inspires the very best in human nature
Is the muse of the some of the greatest literary masterpieces
Upholds honesty and truth
Produces selfless heroism
Love nurtures and protects

Yet to those who are not counted privileged to experience it
Is a harsh and unforgiving monster
Cast away its victims are discarded
To seek in vain the scraps from underneath the table
Love is either an angel or a demon
Depending on where cupid’s capricious arrows land
We desire masochistically for love’s approval
To find that personification of love that will make us feel complete
Sometimes we seek all our lives to no avail
For like a siren love eludes and seduces
Only to destroy our lives in its pursuit

Love truly does make fools of us all...

No comments:

Post a Comment