Wednesday 28 October 2009

the beautiful things in life: music

I want to talk about the beautiful things in life, which make life more meaningful to me. I am going to start with music. Music to me is one of the most, if not the most profound and dynamic forms of artistic expression. Music touches us on so many levels and stimulates many of our senses: musically, lyrically, spiritually, emotionally & intellectually.

One of the things I love most about music is the purity of the self expression and how music can have a huge impact on our feelings and outlook on life. Because music is so multi-sensory as well as evocative I can usually find a song or an album that will suit my frame of mind or the mood I am in. My main passion in music (although my taste is broadening to incorporate more styles) is metal. I love the gratuitous dissonance and brutality of the genre(s), the overtly rebellious and self confident belief in itself. Metal has an amazing cathartic quality to it, as well as an empowering effect caused by the intelligent, technical and unapologetic wall of sound it produces.

Another thing I love about music in general is the way in which everyone interprets it and appropriates it to their lives individually and uniquely. Music is at the same time personal and collective. We can listen to the same songs yet can appreciate them for totally different reasons. Music is so wonderfully versatile. Music can also bring us together and be the bond of many close friendships even relationships. One of the reasons music is so powerful is that it is a universal language and can communicate through different wavelengths; it can touch us in a primitive almost spiritual way through its overtones and sonic soundscape. Music crosses barriers and breaks down walls of separation.

I believe the world would be a much duller and more depressive place to be without music and our existence would be lesser because of the lack of it, such as clipping a birds wings so that it could not fly. I believe music is a gift from God and contributes to defining who we are as human beings. Music can shape culture and civilization.To me the ability to create music and the ability to listen and appreciate music makes life more worthwhile and beautiful. Life is celebrated through music, life is reflected through music and life is shaped by music in so many ways. The art of music of whatever genre and category is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment